3D Printing Data Management Platform
What you get
The FITMAN “3D Printing Data Management Platform” is a web-platform aiming at alleviating the process of 3D printing through using 3D scanning for supporting the design of 3D products and improving the quality control by analysing available data (generated in the whole process).
The platform targets the Smart and the Digital Factory domains. It is based on four Enablers (FIWARE Generic and FITMAN Specific) integrated and delivered as a virtual machine instance per network by cloud in order to ensure its easy (web-based) and scalable (big data driven) usage.
Why to get it
The quality management in the 3D Printing process is still an open issue in additive manufacturing. There are many parameters that can be measured during the process of printing. Since it can last for hours, the data produced during that process is extremely huge. On the other side, if some problems during the printing happen they can be very costly since a) many hours of work are lost and b) the material is lost as well (not to talk about unsatisfied customers).
Therefore, traditional concepts in quality management, like SPC, cannot be applied very easily in additive manufacturing, esp. because of the big data nature of the produced data so that traditional data processing methods e.g. sampling, cannot be applied efficiently.
The FITMAN “3D Printing Data Management Platform” provides a set of tools and web-based User Interfaces in order to overcome the previously mentioned barriers by providing novel methods for big-data driven quality management. Particularly, the Platform enables the collection and advanced analysis of the data generated during the manufacturing process (i.e. parameters of the process) and from the printed product. Note that both cases are very relevant for the quality since the first set (measurements from the manufacturing process) reflects how stable the process is itself (influencing the costs) and the second set concerns the quality perceived by the customer (influencing customer satisfaction).
The second case is extremely important for scenarios where CAD models are not available for 3D Printing, but 3D Scanning is rather used for the creation of models used in printing process. In this situations we assume that printed product can be scanned after printing using 3D Scanners. We assume that in these situations scanned models are used as golden standards and the quality of the product can be defined by comparing printed products (through scanning them) with golden standard.
For more information about “3D Printing Data Management Platform” components refers to the following addresses:
- FITMAN Specific Enabler "Dynamic CEP" (FITMAN-DyCEP)
- FITMAN Specific Enabler "Dynamic Visualization & Interaction" (FITMAN-DyVisual)
- FITMAN Specific Enabler "3D Scanning Storage & Visualization" (FITMAN-3DScan)
- FI-WARE Generic Enabler “COSMOS”
Terms and Conditions
Experimentation/testing within the scope of the FI-PPP FITMAN “3D Printing Data Management Platform” asset is available to the Parties signed to the FI-PPP program under the conditions established in the FI-PPP Collaboration Agreement. External availability
- FITMAN Specific Enabler "Dynamic CEP" (FITMAN-DyCEP) is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0
- FITMAN Specific Enabler "3D Scanning Storage & Visualization" (FITMAN-3DScan) is realized under the FreeBSD License
- Following components are required for realizing the analytics part
- Apache Hadoop, open source project under Apache v2.0 license
- Apache Oozie, open source project under Apache v2.0 license
- Apache Cassandra, open source project under Apache 2.0 license
- PostgreSQL, open source project under PostgreSQL license
- FastDTW, algorithm open source implementation by Stan Salvador, under MIT license
- JFreeChart, open source, free software, under LGPL v3.0 license